Sunday, April 13, 2014

Last long run before the big day


















I was very pensive on today's long run, for a few reasons: First, because it is my last long run before the Marathon; second, because it was a beautiful, blue-sky day with a light breeze and almost no one else on the road; and finally, because it will be my last long run starting at our current home and extending through China Camp State Park. One of my favorite things about living where we do in San Rafael is its proximity to this beautiful State Park, with rolling hills, gorgeous greenery and breathtaking water views. It is just a little over 12 miles round trip from our house to the park, through the park to the entrance on the opposite side. Not only have we enjoyed running here, it is also where we've had several birthday celebrations and numerous hikes, picnics and beach days. I am really going to miss it. Not that we'll be terribly far away, it will only be about 15-20 minutes' drive from our new home, but it just won't be the same as being able to run right from my front door to this spectacular park.















I was pretty happy with my splits on this run, especially given that it was sunny and on the warm side. I am hoping I can hit similar paces in Boston, but will start out more conservatively (i.e. slowly!) to save energy for those dreaded hills at miles 17-21!

The thought of the race has got me really excited now, although I know I'm going to be a bit of a mess. Thinking about my honorees and those of my donors, remembering those injured and killed last year, knowing that it may also be my mom's last year living near Boston: it's quite emotionally charged. I can hardly talk about it without tearing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment